Thursday, January 7, 2010

Retirement is Not Boring

There seems to be so much to do. I never understand people who think retirement is boring. I have a checklist in my mind and sometimes I even jot down items on a To Do list which is really a better idea because I'll get to the end of my day and then remember that I forgot to do something very important. I did three miles on the treadmill so that takes about 50 minutes and if I re-start some weight resistance exercises (vital to help prevent bone loss) there goes about hour and a half or more of my day. Then there is time spent eating breakfast, reading the newspaper, making the bed, deciding and preparing the evening meal, talking to friends on the phone, sending birthday, get well, or sympathy cards, etc. Now there is time spent writing in my blog. There are the routine jobs such as laundry, cleaning toilets, vacuuming. Some days I attend Mass. Some days I go out to lunch with a friend. Some days I clean up to get ready for company or clean up after company has been here. I try to spend a little time reading.
Which reminds me of the fact that last year I took a course offered by our local library called, Love and Forgiveness. It was a very interesting and worthwhile course and it was completely free. Since I live right down the street from the library and the title intrigued me I couldn't resist signing up. The course was several months in length and all the participants were loaned six different books (brand new at that!). Each month we would read one of the books and then come to the library on the scheduled night and discuss the book as it related to the subject of love and forgiveness. The discussions were led by a young, bright, female professor from a local college. I really enjoyed the course although we just scratched the surface of this extremely complex subject, i.e., love and forgiveness. Interestingly, even though the discussions were held in the evening, most of the participants were women and most of the women were older - close in age to yours truly. Anyway, I guess the reason I went off on a tangent and brought this all up is the fact that I believe that love and forgiveness are tremendously interesting subjects and I would love to hear what other people think and believe about these intangible things. In our course discussions we talked about such things as brotherly love, parental love, romantic love, unconditional love, etc. We talked about forgiveness after someone inflicts physical and/or emotional injury on us. We talked about forgiveness after cheating and betrayal. So, what are your thoughts about love and forgiveness? Or should I be a bit more specific? Mary Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment