Tuesday, January 19, 2010

94 Year Old Man Returns to College

My Dad came over for dinner tonight. I could see he was really excited when he stepped into my kitchen. As I was finishing the last of my meal preparations he said,
Mary, you wouldn't believe the e-mail I got today from Ralph Thomson
(please note: the name has been changed to protect the innocent) . Do you remember him; he was my colleague from Queens College?
My first reaction was I wonder who died although I didn't say it out loud. (After all my Dad is 94 years old and colleagues are getting scarcer and scarcer these days). I didn't have to wonder too long. He eagerly pushed his prize into my hands and rapidly started explaining. Ralph had forwarded him a Google website where he could enter an address and be almost immediately transported there.
Mary, it's amazing; you get a 360 degree view and you can even look up and down the street. You just wouldn't believe it. You can almost see in the windows.
Ralph had sent him the site in order to show him the rather dramatic changes that had taken place at Queens College since my father retired in 1976. As my Dad proceeded to show me the pictures he had printed off the website (my Dad prints and saves everything), he explained that the area which was once an open field is now filled with dorms. Also, new buildings stand where old familiar ones use to be. They even renamed one of the buildings, he said, sounding a bit disgusted. Since this particular change seemed to be the most distressing to him, I questioned him some more about it. He told me that the building was originally named after the guy who hired him and then he adds, I bet he is turning over in his grave.
Nonetheless, this virtual tour of his old stomping grounds, seems to have meant a lot to my father. My father started working at the College when it first opened in 1940. He hasn't been to Queens College in many years and the visit there today appeared to make him happy. So much so that after he finished visiting the College he proceeded to go to our old house in Brooklyn. He looked up and down the street, walked up the driveway and around to the backyard. It sounded like fun to me; I'll have to do it myself sometime soon.
And while I'm at it I'll have to thank his friend, Ralph, for making my Dad's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment