Monday, January 18, 2010

A Gift

Yesterday on the ride home from Binghamton I noticed that the snow was just about gone. Up here in the Great Northeast we sometimes don't see the bare ground from late November until early April. Stubborn, soiled, white spots might even hang on here and there until May.
In one way it felt good to see the bare ground again; in another way the earth was a bit too bare and the landscape looked colorless, dreary and depressing. So late last night when I stepped out the front door before heading up to bed I was moved by the beauty and stillness of the huge, fluffy snow flakes falling all around me. The ground was already sparkling white and I stayed for a moment and took in the slendor of this new creation. I thought about how this magnificant scene had just been created so easily and in no time at all. I also thought about the fact that no matter how much human beings tried they would never be able to make this happen. I felt like I had just been given a gift without the least bit of effort on my part.
Mary Beth

1 comment:

  1. I call snow the "great equalizer." It makes a pile of garbage look as beautiful as a landscape! I love living in upstate New York - every type of weather has its own beauty!

    ReplyDelete