Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Class of 1965

I have committed to compiling a history of the Class of 1965 of St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center School of Nursing, 158 West 12th St., NY, NY. and I will use my blog to keep me focused and energized in this endeavor.
In life, when we make decisions regarding which paths to take and which paths to leave untraveled, these decisions frequently have amazing consequences. One path leads to another path and then a turn in the road leads to another path, and on and on - all stemming from the initial decision.
In 1962, as a senior in high school, I had been accepted to St. John's Hospital on Queens Blvd. in the LI City/ Flushing area. I had been measured for my uniform and my parents had paid the acceptance fee. Then, I received notification that I was accepted at St. Vincent's Hospital School of Nursing in lower Manhattan. My Mom said something simple like,
Mary, I think you should choose to go to St. Vincent's as my cousin, Genevieve, had some experience with St. Vincent's and it has a very good reputation.
Thank You Mom. I always considered this decision one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. So tonight, in earnest, I will begin the story of the Class of 1965.
MB

No comments:

Post a Comment