Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Truth

I'm attempting to audit a course at Siena College on writing short fiction. My acceptance depends on whether or not the course is already full. Obviously if they can get a student to pay $1500 for a seat in the course why would they accept me, a Senior Citizen, who pays nothing but a $60 registration fee.
I do hope I get into the class though, since I have so many things that I want to write about that are just too honest or too painful or too revealing to put into the written word. Certain things need to be disguised in fiction. I've found that the truth can be brutal and many of our real life stories are too personal to tell as such. I just can't put them on paper. How I really feel at times or what I really think about an issue or event in my life, I just can't reveal publicly. Sometimes I have a hard time even revealing it to myself. Possibly writing fiction could be my answer. Then no one will really know whether it actually happened or whether it was simply created in my imagination.
The names, times and places will be changed to protect the innocent and preserve a reputation, perhaps even my own.
Mary Beth

2 comments: