Saturday, January 8, 2011

Searching for Truth




Recently my friend, Mike, gave me a video and a book by philosopher, and master of mythology, Joseph Campbell. I had been having a bit of a crisis of faith and Mike thought this information might be helpful.
I've already viewed six hour-long PBS (Public Broadcast Station) programs of Bill Moyers interviewing Joseph Campbell on various topics (eternity, love, sacrifice, finding your bliss, etc.) which were originally shown in the late 1980's.
Although there is a lot in the material that I don't grasp readily or don't find all that interesting or meaningful, I have found certain ideas and concepts absolutely amazing. Some of the beliefs, thoughts and feelings that Joseph Campbell expresses match mine exactly. A couple of times I said out loud, Wow, how is he able to describe precisely what I sense is Truth. Even though I am struggling through some of the information, I plan to continue my investigation into truth. I already feel I have a much deeper and more satisfying explanation of the important topics of life. I want to continue this journey - a journey I should have undertaken many years ago.
In 1958-59 at 13 years of age when I was a freshman in high school, I raised my hand and stood beside my desk - the polite, prescribed way to ask a question - in order to clarify a concept regarding faith. I was reprimanded harshly by Sister Mary of the Holy Spirit. I learned in a rather humiliating way (remember what it feels like to be an awkward 13 year old !) that there were certain things you weren't suppose to question. I guess I learned my lesson well.

No comments:

Post a Comment