Friday, January 7, 2011

Flipping a Coin for Dr. Coyne - Part 2


A week later I was walking through the Nurses’ Residence from one class to another when I happened to see Marie walking towards me. I was anxious to hear if Dr. Coyne had accepted her invitation so I grabbed her as she passed by. I was shocked when she said that she didn’t ask him. She also explained that she had heard that he was engaged, so she wasn’t going to ask him. I went on to my class and attempted to concentrate on which ligament was connected to which bone all the while mulling over in my brain what I had just heard. What a pity, this gorgeous hunk of manhood was no longer an option! Who could I possibly take to the Junior Dance who would, in any way, shape or manner, match this dream date?
It didn’t take me long to decide that I had to hear this engagement news directly from the horse’s mouth. Hearsay doesn’t always hold the truth. OK, so I would check out the facts upfront from the man himself and if they happened to be false, then I would ask him to the dance. My closest friends continued to push me onward. Once again, my anxiety began to rise as I started to formulate my new plan. How & when would I ask him? He doesn’t even know my name or who I am! I continued forward in spite of overwhelming fear and trepidation. I must have wanted this badly.
Now too long afterwards, I was working a day shift on St. Joseph’s West and I happened to notice he was up on the ward for some reason. I need to get him alone I think and quickly before he leaves for another floor. There is no way I could say what I needed to say at the nurses’ station in front of all the staff congregating in the area. I wonder how much conscientious nursing care I rendered that day. Not much I imagine. God forgive me, but I was on J.J. Coyne watch rather than concentrating on my patients. One of the many times I peeked out from the doorway of the 8 bedded ward room; there he was walking down the hallway alone. It was now or never. I put one foot in front of the other, left my watch location, and prayed, legs don’t fail me now.
I walked up to the man and stood directly in front of him, literally stopping him in his tracks. At that moment, as Elvis would say, my hands were shaking and my knees were weak, I couldn’t seem to stand on my own two feet. Dr. Coyne looked down at me (he was tall) with a bemused look on his handsome face. Here I stood in my rather awkward Student Nurses uniform, with a look of sheer terror on my face.
There was nothing else I could do at this point but open my mouth and push some words out of it.
Hi, Dr. Coyne, my name is Mary Beth Fries, are you engaged?
Immediately my mind started talking to me - you’re such an idiot; in a million years you never should have attempted this ridiculous invitation. He’s a mature man and a professional, a physician, for God’s sake. You’re just a silly 18 year old Student Nurse. What were you thinking!
His laughter breaks into the conversation that is going on inside my brain.
No, I’m not engaged he says, why do you ask?
Well, if you’re not engaged then would you like to take me to my Junior Dance? I believe some of your friends are going to the dance with some of my classmates.
When is it, he asks, I’ll have to see if I can get off that night.
I tell him the date and then give him my name and phone number.
He leaves and it takes me a moment to stop shaking and regain my composure.
...........to be continued




No comments:

Post a Comment