Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Missing Sister Mauretia


I was trying to sleep but as usual this is when my mind starts working overtime. I spoke to my Dad this evening and he shared how lonesome he was feeling for his dear friend, Sister Mauretia. I'm feeling terribly lonesome also. I didn't realize the impact her death would have on me. Possibly it is because of the close connection she had to my mother and my father; possibly it is because she lived so close and was a support through some of life's traumas and a sharer in so many of the important joyous moments of my life as well. Whatever it is, I'm sad and I miss her. I wish we could have said a more direct good-bye. Why is that typically so difficult to do?
I'd like to share a little poem that was read at Sister Mauretia's Prayer Service. It was a poem that Sister Mauretia wrote in 1972 when she was on an Easter retreat at the St. Joseph's Provincial House.
My Little Bits

When I compare my love for You
Against Your great love for me, my God,
It is only a "little bit".

No matter what the pain or suffering
You shall ask of me - in contrast to
The indignations you endured,
It is only a "little bit".

The very earth sings out its glory to You.
The birds and bunnies are Your creation.
The sky - the clouds - the breezes blown
The beauty of each flower
The majesty of each tree praise You
And I, my God, can give only
My "little bit".

Yet the "little bit" is all I have
I freely give to You my peace and joy,
My love and praise, all my growth and change,
That seeking You I may find You in my fellow man.

And when Your gentle, loving Voice
Whispers my name to "come"
May all my little bits be gathered together
To become the reflection of You in me
written by Sr. Mauretia Kelly, CSJ, 1972

Personally, I thought that this was the most meaningful reflection shared at Sister Mauretia's Prayer Service.
The photo above was taken at the St. Joseph Provincial House shortly after Sister's body was brought to its' final resting place. Just before leaving the House, the Sisters of St. Joseph sang the most beautiful hymn. I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment