Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sister Mauretia Kelly



We received a phone call today informing us that Sister Mauretia died on Friday. I have known Sister Mauretia for as long as I can remember. She was getting up in years and she had been struggling with illness for quite some time, so her death was not sudden or unexpected. Nevertheless, I felt great sadness when I heard of her passing. Oh I'm sure she's fine, I have no doubt of that. But I have lost a dear friend. I will miss her sage advice, her political support (she & I were of the same political persuasion)and the great family stories she shared with me. The last time I saw Sister Mauretia was during her recent hospitalization at Albany Memorial Hospital. Interestingly, even though she had had a very bad night, she seemed determined to drill the family facts into my thick skull once and for all. Oh Mary I told you, she would say to me when for the millionth time I attempted to clarify the facts about who married who and how exactly they were related to each other. That day she also told me that my Grandfather, TJ. O'Donnell, had dated her Mother and my Grandmother, Margaret Coleman, had dated her Father before realizing that it worked better the other way around. Sister Mauretia, don't get upset with me but I have already forgotten your parents' names. I should have taken notes.
So how exactly were we connected ?
It just so happened that my Mother's Aunt Bridget Byrne had married Sister Mauretia's Uncle, Patrick O'Reilly. For family members who might be interested in this - Aunt Bridget Byrne was my mother's grandmother's (Hannah Byrne Coleman - mother of Margaret Coleman O'Donnell) sister. When my mother was a little girl she used to love to stay overnight at her Aunt Bridge's farm in St. Joseph's PA. On many of these occasions, a little girl named Anne Kelly and her brother, Paul (Uncle Patrick O'Reilly's niece and nephew) would be staying overnight at the farm also. My mother loved these special times and she became best of friends with Anne Kelly, and her brother, Paul. When they grew up, Anne Kelly realized that she was being called to the religious life as a Sister of St. Joseph. My mother, not wanting to let go of her friend, told Anne that she would become a nun also. Anne was wise and understood that God had other plans in mind for my mother. She was correct of course and my father, Charlie, and I are glad she shared her wisdom with my Mom. Even though they traveled different paths, they remained wonderful, steadfast friends throughout their lives. As fate would have it, or should I say as God designed it, Sister Mauretia was living at the St. Joseph's Provincial House here in Latham during my mother's final illness. She sat by my mother's bedside and held my mother's hand in her last days on this earth. And since my mother's death in 1998, she has remained a true and faithful friend to my Dad, Charlie. Thanks, Sister Mauretia, for being there for us. And, one last question for tonight, do you mind if we continue to send you our pray requests? I knew you'd say OK.
Love, Rita and Charlie's Daughter
Photo 1932 - Rita O'Donnell, Anne Kelly, Paul Kelly, & Bob Geary

No comments:

Post a Comment