Monday, January 10, 2011

Sr. Mauretia Kelly's Evening Prayer Service


Bob and my Dad and I went to Sister Mauretia's Prayer service this evening at 7PM. Sister was laid out in the beautiful chapel at the St. Joseph's Provincial House here in Latham. It is an absolutely magnificent chapel with a gorgeous full-wall tile mural of the Christ behind the altar. The service was very moving. A few of the Sisters gave interesting reflections on Sister's life. I modified yesterday's Blog and shared this story too.
The Evening Prayer (that's what it was called) closed with a hymn that Sister, herself, had chosen for her service. It is an Irish song called "Our Lady of Knock" and the song goes like this:
There were people of all ages gathered 'round the gable wall;
poor and humble men and women, little children that you called.
We are gathered here before you, and our hearts are just the same,
filled with joy at such a vision, as we praise your name
Refrain:
Golden Rose, Queen of Ireland,
all my cares and troubles cease
as we knell with love before you,
Lady of Knock, my Queen of Peace

It was a lovely hymn and the Sisters did a beautiful job singing. We were honored to be a part of the prayer service this evening and my Dad and I are planning on attending the 10:30 AM Funeral Mass tomorrow morning.

I felt like I brought a celebrity with me tonight. All the Sisters in the convent appear to be "crazy" over Charlie Fries. It seems that over the years he's fixed just about every radio and electrical appliance of every nun in the place. He has also been a large supplier of hot cross buns and gingersnaps. He apparently worked his way into the heart of all the Sisters. It was hard to get near him for awhile, he had such a crowd coming up to shake his hand. Sister Mauretia would have liked it.

Mary Beth
PS- the photo of Rita O'Donnell and Anne Kelly (aka Sr. Mauretia) was taken up in the country many years ago. I do not know the girl in front.


No comments:

Post a Comment