Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Old Friendsville Church

This picture was in an old frame among the memorabilia.  I took it out of the frame to scan it and on the back is written M. O'Donnell.  This is a picture of the original Friendsville, PA church which was built in 1831.  The old church was located where the current Friendsville cemetery is located.  This is the cemetery where my Grandma Margaret (Coleman) and Grandpa Thomas Joseph O'Donnell are buried.   Dorothy O'Donnell and Anne R. O'Donnell are buried on either side of their parents.  Many, many years ago the pastor of the church died after falling from a tree in this cemetery.  I think the church burned down but possibly another family member can confirm or dispute this information. 
Eventually the Friendsville church was reconstructed down the road and across the street where it still stands today.   My Great Grandma Hannah (Byrne) and Great Grandfather, G. Frank Coleman were married in the "new" Friendsville Church on April 27th, 1886 at 11 A.M.This photo was taken on their wedding day.  Back in those days it was customary for the bride to wear a dark dress. My Great Grandma Hannah had 8 children - 4 boys and 4 girls.  My grandmother, Margaret Mary Coleman O'Donnell was their first child.  Hannah was pregnant with her eighth child, Kathleen, (Kathleen eventually married Maurice Fitzgerald and for many years they owned a general store in Friendsville) when her husband died of a blood clot after suffering a broken leg from an accident on the farm (slipped on ice, I believe).   It was Good Friday and Great Grandpa was 49 years old at the time of his death.  Hannah raised the eight children on her own (she never remarried) ----- come to think of it who would want to marry someone with eight kids!!  She said that she had to work so hard that her middle name was "Work" i.e., Hannah Work Coleman.  She was present at my parent's wedding (Charlie & Rita (O'Donnell) Fries) on Oct. 19, 1940.  I believe she died in 1943.
The reception was held at 3PM at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Christopher Byrnes, (my great, great grandparents) who owned a farm in Friendsville.  The farm is no longer standing but my mother pointed out the site to me on several occasions when we took our little trips to "the country".

No comments:

Post a Comment