Friday, July 11, 2014

"Our" Birds flew away this evening

The photo was taken on 7-8-14
This evening, July 11, 2014, (by the way Happy Birthday, dearest Maureen) before dinner, I brought a step stool and my camera to the geranium plant on our front porch.  I had taken a few photos just the other day of a bird's nest inside the plant.  There were four baby birds in the nest and they looked so cute.  They had their eyes opened but they didn't move as I pulled back the leaves to get a better look at them and to take their photograph.
About a week or two before Bob and I noticed that a bird flew out of the plant whenever we opened the front door.  Shortly after our discovery, Connor and I got the step stool and took a peek and saw some tiny little eggs in the nest.  Connor commented that one of the eggs had a crack in it.  From then on I was ever so careful whenever I watered the plant.  I did not want to disturb the nest or drown the babies!
Tonight, I got the step stool out of the mudroom, set it up right next to the plant and then grabbed my camera ready for a photo shoot.  Low and behold the birds were all snug as a bug in a rug, so I pulled back the leaves to get a better photograph.  What a shock when the mother bird took flight and the  four baby birds followed right behind her.  I was so frightened that they would nosedive into the ground but they followed their Mom and I watched in amazement as they soared through the air, up higher and higher until they reached the rather large trees across the street from our house.  I imagine this was probably their first flight, but they did a great job.  It was a once in a lifetime experience for me, and although I hope I didn't make them leave home before they were ready, I enjoyed being a witness to this miracle of life.  Bob and I looked into the nest before we went upstairs to our bed for the night and the nest was empty.   I guess they are gone for good.  I wonder whether they met up again in another tree or whether their relationship is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment