Monday, July 14, 2014

Fr. Tomas Burns, Maryknoll Missioner Extraordinaire

 I discovered this photo in a box of photos and memorabilia from my father's house.   On the back it says "Tommy Burns (Bobby's brother) in my mother's handwriting.  
Tommy Burns is a Maryknoll Missioner who has spent over 40 years as a missioner in Peru.  The Peruvian people have become his family and Peru is where he appears to be most at home.  When I met him many years ago he was studying to become a Maryknoll missioner.    I was dating his slightly older (i.e., Irish twins) brother, Bobby, and also knew his slightly younger brother, Kenny.   At the time, their only sister, Kathy, was just a little girl.  I remember her fondly.   The family lived in a small apartment in Jackson Heights, Queens.  I found it amazing that the 3 brothers were 6'3", 6'4" and 6'5" while their parents were both about 5'7".   I remember that his mother was a very sweet, lovely lady and I liked her very much.   One year (probably 1965 -66)  Bobby took me out for New Year's Eve and when he picked me up he asked if I minded if we went back to his apartment in Jackson Heights to get his brother who was home from the seminary for Christmas vacation.  I was a little surprised by the request but I said "sure, that's fine with me".  I remember how nice it felt to  drive along in Bobby's car while I sat in the middle between two tall, dark and handsome young men.   We went to his friend's house for a party.  I have always enjoyed doing this sort of thing,  meeting people and visiting with them in informal, relaxed settings.  I preferred this to a fancy nightclub or show.   That New Year's Eve, I sat on the couch next to Tommy while he shared his dreams for his future and I remember being amazed that such a young man - not much more than a teenager - had such remarkable ambitions to do the work of God.  It seemed so loving and generous.  In my mind I actually questioned whether he would really follow through with this ambitious goal or whether he would eventually throw in the towel and take an easier path for himself.   Well, he persevered and this June (19-22) at the 2014 Maryknoll Affiliates Conference I was privileged to meet some of Tomas' "family" from Peru.   This photo below was taken on June 20th at Maryknoll.
This photo was taken on June 22, 2014 - Father Tomas' friends from Peru.  Carlos, Lucia, Raul & Martha

1 comment:

  1. Great story, MB. Enjoyed reading it. I remember when
    Noel was studying for the priesthood as a Maryknoller bound for Asia. He seemed so young, too.

    ReplyDelete