Sunday, July 27, 2014

Johanna Kispert & Jacob Fries - Poppi's Grandparents

This is the wedding photo of my father's (Charles A. Fries, Sr.) paternal grandparents - Jacob Fries and Johanna Kispert.  The only other identified person in this photo is the guy standing next to the groom. He is the brother of the bride and his name was Joseph Kispert.  Jacob & Johanna were the parents of my Grandpa Joseph Fries.  I heard that Jacob came over from Laufach, Germany with his parents when he was 9 years old.   I do not know where he met his wife, nor do I know what nationality she was although she does not look German to me.  She is wearing a dark wedding dress which appeared to be the style in the late 1800's.   She almost looks like she could be pregnant but I don't think things like that happened back then.  But, then again I remember our family doctor, Dr. William Carrington (he was a very interesting, entertaining character from Claredon Ave in Brooklyn) saying that first babies only took a 7 months gestational period rather than 9!   Certainly whatever the case, no one looks the least bit happy.   Did you ever wish you could get into a time machine and go back just for one day every once in awhile.  I guess that's why the movie, "Back to the Future" was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment