Thursday, March 4, 2010

"......protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope..."


So did you think I died? I bet you thought I fell off the face of the earth. Actually, as I mentioned in my last blog entry, Bob & I went on a vacation to Florida for a full 8 days and only arrived back home late yesterday afternoon. It was a wonderful vacation for me because I decided to give up worrying for Lent. I usually try to give up some sort of food or drink item but this year I was fed up with the negative approach and thought I'd try something new. The day before I left on our trip, I happened to speak with a dear friend, Sister Mary Agnes, and in the course of our conversation, I told her how I typically fret and worry the entire time I am away from home. As we were talking, it struck me - like a bolt of lightning - that an ideal thing to do for Lent would be to give up worrying. She agreed. Why not believe in God's providence for a change? Sounds like a wise move, wouldn't you say? No matter what happened while we were away, God would be there - in all places and in all ways - with His love and support. Wow, isn't that a grand thought. So, even though the weather was a bit cool and the sun didn't shine every single minute, I had one of the best vacations of my life. I spent time with people I don't get to see very often, I enjoyed sunsets and other sights and sounds of sea and sky created by the Almighty. Our family at home stayed healthy, the plane lifted off and flew through the air just perfectly, and we returned home again in one piece. With God's help, I will continue to wait in joyful hope.
Mary Beth

2 comments:

  1. Mary Beth - I was especially interested to read this blog as the title is one of my FAVORITE lines in the Mass. I always say it right along with the priest even though it's not a participatory part.

    Isn't our God so wonderful? And do we really BELIEVE what He's told us?? That, because of our hero and redeemer Jesus Christ, we have the awesome privilige (sp?) of standing before our Father completely spotless and clean; which, in turn, means that all the awesome blessings he provides are OURS! READ Deuteronomy 28 (blessed in the city, blessed in the field. . .) All those promises belong to us THROUGH Jesus. And if we REALLY believe it, then what is there to worry about? God knows each of us so well, and when we listen to His Holy Spirit directing us, it's all good!
    There' a prevailing attitude in this society that if you're not worrying, you're somehow shirking your duties. Don't believe it! Go to the scripture to see what you're supposed to think about, or meditate on. After all, worrying is just meditating on the "what ifs". Meditate, rather, on what Philippians 4:8 tells us to meditate on - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
    So I'm happy to hear you've given up worrying! What a great Lenten devotion! Didn't intend such a rambling comment, but I get fired up about this! (Can you tell)
    Okay, one more comment - then I'm done! Psalm 37 (which is an awesome psalm - like they're not all awesome) verse 8 says, "do not fret—it leads only to evil. " When I put "fret" into Microsoft Word and went to thesaurus, guess what the first synonym was?
    Glad you had a good trip - missed your blog while you were gone, and Happy Birthday!
    Cousin Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa,
    Loved your comments. Thanks for sharing these thoughts with me. I can tell how positive you are and it is a great reflection on your faith.
    Thanks Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete