Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Annie's Love


The other night I had an unusual dream. There wasn't much of a plot to it. Basically, in my dream it was nighttime and I walked downstairs from my bedroom into my family room and turned on the light. I was shocked and shaken up to see my Aunt Anne O'Donnell sitting in the recliner near the fireplace. She died in October of 1994. I said to her, What are you doing here? but before she could answer me I woke up. I'm sorry that we didn't get to sit and relax and have a conversation together. It has been such a long time since we visited with each other. In the last decade or so of her life she lived here in the Capital District only 5 minutes from us. It was nice to have her living close by and we became pretty good friends. She would often stop in unexpectedly to see me on my days off and it was always a pleasant interruption to my household tasks. When I heard her car out in front, I would look out the window and see her walking up the driveway toward the house. A happy feeling would come over me.
A few years before she died, she said something to my brother, Marty, and he shared this conversation with me after her death. Aunt Anne had wondered out loud to him if he thought she would be missed by anyone after she died. My brother assured her that of course she would be missed. She was so good to all her nieces and nephews, and was a very special part of our lives. I can only imagine that because she never married and didn't have a family of her own, she thought she might be forgotten. So when I saw her in my dream the other night, I got the idea that she might be egging me on to tell a little of her story. I think one of the highlights of Annie's life was her love for a guy named Eddie. I'd like to share this story with you. I think this would make Annie happy. - to be continued..............

No comments:

Post a Comment