Monday, March 8, 2010

Gratitude


So in less than one hour it will be my 65th birthday. I am now officially an old lady. I have proof, I carry a Medicare Card in my wallet.
But what I really want to know is where did all these years go? Just yesterday I was wanting a fake ID so I could get into the hangout joints. Remember those days when you had to prove you were 18 years old in order to get into those great bars/pickup places? Now instead of a fake ID, I have a newly laminated Medicare Card. The lamination was Bob's idea; he's always been practical like that. I guess he thinks I'm going to live to a ripe old age and he doesn't want the card to wear out in my wallet.
Interestingly, I don't feel as upset about this monumental birthday as I thought I would be. Rather, the feeling I'm experiencing right now is a real strong sense of gratitude. I have been so very blessed. I have a wonderful family and fantastic friends. It is not even my official birthday yet and I have already been showered with good wishes and thoughtful gifts. One of my friends was nice enough to turn 65 years old in September. The other night I told him how very much I appreciated the fact that he turned 65 years old before I did. If it was not for him, I would have had the dubious honor of being the very oldest one in our closest group of friends. He also reminded me that I should be happy to have made it to 65 as a lot of people don't have such a privilege. We discussed that yes, indeed, it was rather nice to be this side of the grass. I have no reason to complain. I'm a lucky girl - oops - I mean I'm a lucky old lady and tonight I'm feeling truly grateful.
Thanks, Mary Beth

1 comment:

  1. Mary Beth - That's a much better way to look at aging. So let me join in with the others and wish you a very Happy Birthday!! Mario

    ReplyDelete