Friday, July 10, 2020

Return to Sender - So Very Sad 😢

Thursday, October 18, 1951 
Dear Joe, 
        I saw your three darlings last night. Charlie took me down to Bushwich and Linden and then picked me up at about eleven fifteen on Bushwich. I had to call him from Maureen’s because Marie’s phone isn’t connected yet. Your apartment looks lovely - Marie made nice grey drapes for between the living room and bedroom and they look wonderful. Also drapes for the windows. It just puts a finishing touch to the place. Marie is awfully lonesome but she says the kids are like two little old ladies comforting her and telling her that you’ll be home soon. We are all praying hard that you’ll be home soon, safe and sound and I’m confident you will. I prayed to the Sacred Heart when Marty was sick last winter and my prayers were answered and he was allowed to come home sooner than I had even hoped for. So I’m saying the same prayer for you now. 
Sharon was doing her homework when I arrived last night. She gets plenty for the 2 A. Diane was asleep, but she awoke after an hour or so because she had a nightmare. I gave her a birthday card and she was quite pleased. I think Marie is having a little party for her on Saturday. Charlie, M.B. and Marty were more than pleased to hear it. 
          Tomorrow Charlie’s class is going on a boat ride around Manhattan island if the weather permits. 
        I made some cookies for you and I hope Charlie will pack them to mail tomorrow. He took the day off to help Joe so he didn’t get a chance to wrap the package today.  How is the food over there? I read your letter 10/6 when you told about the cold nights. I hope it is warmer now. We have had some beautiful days this week. It’s just a year ago since Marty got polio. Boy, an awful lot can happen in a year. I hope things will change for the better by next year. 
    Loads of love,
          your sister, Rita 

No comments:

Post a Comment