Monday, July 13, 2020

Prejudices and Racism-8-The Clandestine Move

My parents lived at 62 Interboro Parkway, Brooklyn, NY for 50 years. I grew up in this house.  For a good deal of my growing up years an Italian-American family lived in the house next door and although the driveway between us was completely on our property, we willingly shared it with them. 
This couple, Jeannie and Armando, had two sons, Victor and Armand. The older son, Victor, was the same age as my younger sister, Meg, and they were good friends. 
My father was a very smart man who could fix just about anything. He was also very generous when it came to sharing his talents in this area.  He freely offered to help Jeannie and Armando on a rather regular basis.   My mother was a great cook and a loving and kind person who opened her home and her heart to everyone.  My Mom and Jeannie would sit and visit over coffee and cake on many occasions.  Given the length and nature of this relationship, it was unbelievable and shockingly offensive that Jeannie and Armando and their boys snuck out of their house in the middle of the night without so much as a wave goodbye.  They were as quiet as thieves, moving stealthily in the darkness but in the morning light it was obvious that the house was barren and they were gone.  They left no note and no forwarding address or contact information.   Why do you think they would do such a thing ?   
Our neighbors sold their home to a black family and this just wasn’t done.  I imagine they felt they betrayed the neighborhood.  
I think it is time we talk about what really happened then and is still happening now. Deeply held beliefs do not change overnight and we certainly can’t change what we deny ever happening.  
Postscript: My parents loved their new neighbors!! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking I was already moved on. in any case, I don't remember being too surprised that they snuck out like that.

    ReplyDelete