Friday, July 10, 2020

October 24, 1951 Return to Sender

It is actually very difficult to transcribe this October 24th 1951 return to sender letter.  There is a tremendous feeling of sadness as I read between the lines and sense my mother’s and the entire family’s growing concern over their beloved Joe.  “ It’s over two weeks” my mother writes.  “ Marie hasn’t had a letter from you since the 9th of October and she’s getting awfully anxious.”
Why do I bother doing this then since it is so far in the past ( almost 70 years )? “Just get over it”, some may say.  

 I don’t want people to ever look lightly on war.  I want people to know that the death of a dearly beloved young man at the age of 29 years old is a terrible tragedy that must be avoided at all costs.  It leaves a wife without her husband and children without their father.  It leaves parents without their son; sisters without their only brother.   It takes away a man’s opportunity to meet his son- in-laws and his grandchildren.  Death is final and war robs us all of so much.  Lt. Joseph T. O’Donnell 0-1059578 Co A 38th Inf Reg., 2nd Inf. Div. APO # 248 c/o P.M. San Francisco, Calif. was killed in action on Heartbreak Ridge in Korea on 10-13-1951.  

October 24, 1951 10  P.M. 
Dear Joe, 
           You’ll probably get the same news from Marie tonight but I’ll drop a line anyway. Maybe you like getting extra mail. 
           I hope everything is quiet over there. We don’t get hardly any information on the radio or television lately. I hope it means your getting a little rest. I sure wish the peace talks would be something more than talks. I was talking to Steve’s Mother (the girl up the street) yesterday and she is considering giving blood. Is it urgently needed over there? She read that as soon as it is given here it has to be shipped immediately it is needed so desperately. 
        Wednesday is released time for Charlie and Mary Beth so I took them down to St. Michael’s today.  Marie, Sharon and Diane met me at Atlantic Avenue bear the church and we went shopping together.  Marie exchanged a birthday present of Diane because it was too large. Then we all came home to my house. I made chicken chow mein for supper. It turned out very good. I’ll make some for you when you get home if you like it.  Charlie Jr. and Sr. took Marie and the girls home about eight o’clock. Charlie teases Sharon by pretending to hug and kiss Marie.  It just burns her ( Sharon ) up. He made loud smacking ( kissing ) noises in the kitchen when we were doing the dishes and poor Sharon almost raised the roof.  Marie says you’d think she didn’t trust her the way she acts. 
        Marie hasn’t had a letter from you since the 9th of October and she’s getting awfully anxious.  It’s over two weeks. It certainly takes a heck of a long time, doesn’t it?  I hope she’ll get something tomorrow. Charlie called Sears for those pocket warmers. We’ll send them as soon as possible. 
Love from all, Rita  





No comments:

Post a Comment