Monday, July 13, 2020

A Heartfelt Request to the Catholic Army Chaplain


The Catholic Chaplain 
38th Infantry Regiment 
2nd Infantry Division 
APO # 248
San Francisco, Calif. 

Dear Father, 
         My wife’s brother 1st Lt.. Joseph T. O’Donnell was a member of Company A when he was killed in Action on October 13, 1951.
        On October 30th his wife received the sad news via a Department of Defense telegram, and a few days later a confirming letter was sent to his parents. In this letter it was suggested that details surrounding Lt. O’Donnell’s death might be had from the Company Commander or the Chaplain.  Accordingly I am writing to you and the CC of Co A on behalf of his loved ones ( and he had many, Father )to ask you to give us as many details as you see fit. 
          In the past few days there have been many, many tears shed amid so profound a sorrow that words are almost useless to describe. A situation such as this shakes the pillars of one’s faith. Even now I have not really become reconciled to what my wife insists must have been the Will of God.  ( Since this letter is written in pencil on yellow legal paper there are certain things that are crossed out.  These couple of sentences are crossed out” [She must be right. During the last war, our Joe was _____  _______.   I keep asking myself what about the prayers we said each night for his safe return.  Where was his guardian angel? ]
You either have to agree with her and pray harder, or say say that prayers do not produce the results wanted and so are useless.  We expect to pray harder. 
           Lt. O’Donnell was in Korea only a few days so that I doubt that you could have known him very well. I am sure that you would have agreed with me that here was a God-fearing man and a fearless soldier. And from my perspective, let me assure you, Father, that as a son, husband and father, they don’t come any better. So you see, we think we gave a lot. We hope the sacrifice was not in vain. The thought that this might be some kind of “political” war and perhaps serving only the ends of some greedy politicians or party, makes the cross very heavy indeed. 
      Another sentence crossed out - [ I am also sending a request for information to the ______ Commander of Co. A.] 
   Let me thank you in advance, Father, for the time and effort required to help us with this problem.  Be assured that you will be remembered in our prayers.
     My family and I expect to continue the 
“ October” rosary each night. A petition for the success of your work, your safe return and the cessation of hostilities will top the list.
                  Respectfully yours,
                   Charles A. Fries 

No comments:

Post a Comment