Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Prejudices and Racism-7- Labels

Prejudices are not limited to race, religion or sex. Sadly, when I was growing up in Brooklyn I learned very quickly that nationality and ethnicity were also a big reason for feelings of superiority and exclusion. The labels and adjectives that were used to describe one nationality or another were nasty and downright hurtful.  
Maybe, you are familiar with some of these yourself although to be perfectly honest, just putting them down in writing makes me feel sad: 
Cracker, Guinea, Spic, Chink, Coolie, Honky, Wop, Hillbilly, Hick, Coon 

Why, do we human beings  have to find so many ways to hurt each other?  Interestingly when I Googled this subject I discovered that the largest percentage of derogatory labels have to do with being black.  So, please do not tell me that there is no racism in our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment