Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Unbridled Thoughts during the 2020 Pandemic

I’ve been going through boxes 📦 of memorabilia in the basement. This is a monumental, exhausting task because the boxes contain not only my own immediate family’s treasures but also the things my parents’ collected from their own married life and even the lives that led up to their creation.  My mother’s sister, Aunt Anne O’Donnell, lived in an apartment over the garage in the same house as my parents lived and as Executrix of her estate I also inherited the precious few things she preserved.  
Just about everything I throw out leaves  me with the feeling that one more piece of who I am and where I came from is being erased.   I try to think differently but still these powerful emotions overwhelm me with just about everything I put in the trash.  I do get a sense of joy, however, every time I can connect a piece of the past to the right person - the person to whom it really means something special.  I guess it is a matter of how much energy I have to be able to complete this task. 
As I write these words my husband just put an old 45, “ You are my Everything “ by the Temptations, on the record player I insisted we buy several years ago. I must admit we rarely use my unnecessary purchase but it certainly was fun to hear it today as all hell is breaking loose in the world outside our cozy home.  Frankie Valli just sang a To Give ( the Reason I Live) - I couldn’t help but think it describes the medical personnel and all the other people who continue to put themselves at risk to keep other human beings alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment