Thursday, January 9, 2014

March 11, 1942 ltr Rita to Charlie

Since my Mother refers to Rosina and John in the letter below, I would like to use this opportunity to post this photo.  I believe it is Rosina Coleman Smith.  Can anyone confirm that for me?  If it is indeed Rosina, do you know when and possibly where it was taken?


The following letter contains a bit of family history.  It was written in March 1942 – my parents, Rita and Charlie, had been married approximately 1 year and 5 months and as of yet have no children.   My mother, Rita, was writing from Friendsville, and I assume my Dad was home in Brooklyn at either 1492 Bushwich Ave or 58 Interboro Pkwy (There was no envelope).  My mopther probably went up to see her Grandma Hannah (Byrne) Coleman since she was ill.  Grandma Coleman died in November of 1942 at the home of her youngest child, Kathleen (Coleman) Fitzgerald
                                                                                         Friendsville, Pa.
                                                                                            March 11, 1942

Dear Honey Bee,
          I am up in Friendsville tonight.  Grandma hasn’t much of any fever, but is feeling very poorly.  She crys a good deal of the time.   Mary Rose is taking care of her. They also have another woman to help but she isn’t expected to stay.  Mother and Dad have gone back to Aunt Mays to sleep.
          I am having a great time with the children.  Frank and Mike had me reading stories from their school book.  One was about little Brownies who give children colds and another was about the two knights, - Black and White – who had a duel.  Each story has a moral.  The latter one was for boys to dress warm and to change under- clothing often.  I said that would be a good mortal for you to follow. Mike says to be sure to tell you about that story.  I had made the remark casually and I didn’t even think the kids were listening, but they don’t miss a trick.
            I don’t know whether I should go to Sonyea tomorrow or not.
            Rosina and John are calling their baby John Joseph and nick-naming him Jack.  I haven’t seen him or Rosina since I came.          
            Anne Fitz is here besides me and she sends her love.  Mary Rose says to tell you she was asking for you, too.
                                                                                     With love and kisses,
                                                                                        Rita xxx 1/2    x
xx from Mary
xx from Anne
 Some facts from the Curley Reunion Book  - Anne Fitz was born in 1931, Mike Fitzgerald was born in 1932 and Frank was born in 1933.  They lived in Friendsville, Pa with their siblings, Richard and Maurice aka Junie, and their parents, Maurice and Kathleen (Coleman) Fitzgerald who ran a grocery store in Friendsville for many years.  At the time this letter was written they were children (approximately 11, 10, and 9 years of age).  For the younger generations - Grandma Hannah Coleman was my mother's maternal grandmother.  She had 8 children - Margaret (Rita's mother) was the oldest and Kathleen (Richard, Junie, Anne, Mike & Frank's mother) was the youngest. 
I also do not know what " Sonyea" means in the letter.
 Does my mother insinuate that my father didn't change his underwear?  
 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, Did you remove your comment for some reason?? Mary beth

      Delete
  2. Mary Beth,

    What a great picture of Mom. How appropriate the timing! 33 years and 1 day after her death.

    May I borrow the photo to make copies for the John and Rosina clan?

    Thanks for all your posts as they take us for a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I will send you the photo in an e-mail attachment but you are also welcome to the original but it probably is a lesser quality. Mary Beth
      Do you know where the photo was taken and how old you Mom might have been when it was taken?

      Delete
  3. I have heard two locations- Grandma Coleman's house in Friendsville, Pa and the back of the house in Lawton, PA.
    Any other thoughts?

    ReplyDelete