Wednesday, January 1, 2014

letter from my Mom to her brother dated Sunday, October 21, 1951


                                                                       Sunday, October 21, 1951
Dear Joe,
             I guess you know by this time I'm as slow at getting my letter mailed as the postal service is delivering them to you.  However, since I didn't get the enclosed letter mailed over the weekend I'll add this sheet to get my money's worth.
              I had dinner at your house Friday, P.M. The children and I came after school and Charlie joined us after work.  It was our anniversary and Charlie brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries and presented them to me with much ceremony.  Marie almost fainted at the demonstration. We stayed till eleven-thirty.   Saturday we came back at three for Diane's party.  We all enjoyed it.  There was considerable friction among the guest over the prizes.   Marie had to send out for extra coloring books to appease them.  Otherwise the party was a huge success.  If you had been with us everything would have been perfect.
              Today Mother, Dad, Anne, Marie and the children had dinner with us.  We girls ( Anne, Marie and I) took a ride with Dad to see Joe's house.  Gerard and Anne also came along.  Everyone liked the house. When we got back we had a six handed game of canasta.  Charlie, Anne and I won. We couldn't play a second game because Dad and Mother went to Leddy's.
               I am enclosing some drawings Charlie Junior made for you.  Looks like the U.S. Army is doing alright.
                I am enclsing the weekly leaflet from St. Michael's for this week.  Since we are all praying for your safe and speedy return, you'll be homeward bound soon with the help of God. 
                                                                     Love from all,
                                                                      Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment