Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Early this evening My Uncle Joe Mule' went to join the other Two Musketeers

The earthly era of the Three Musketeers officially ended at 5 PM today.  My sister, Meg, got a phone call from Maureen at approximately 8PM this evening telling us that our "Uncle" Joe Mule' went to join his two buddies in heaven.    Shortly before he died Uncle Joe told Maureen that he could see Charlie.  Joe asked Maureen if she saw him too, and since she did not, Joe asked her if she had any messages to convey. This doesn't really surprise me too much.
As I mentioned before, my Dad met Joe Mule' in his Junior Year at Bushwich High School in Brooklyn and they have been friends ever since.  So it only stands to reason that Charlie would be there and grabbing for Joe's hand during this major transition. 
My Dad was 97 when he died in September, Nick Pascarelli, the oldest of the three Musketeers, died first - a week before his 97th birthday and Joe was 97 when he died today.  They died in order, the oldest died first, the second oldest died second, and the youngest  died last.   It seems logical and it almost seems a part of their plan.
Their friendship was legendary and remarkable.  When you combine it together, these three men walked 291 years on this planet. 
They were never, ever, just casual friends.  I mean these guys connected on an almost daily basis for decades and decades.  I believe the love and support they gave to each other is the reason they all lived such active, productive, conscious lives right up to the end.  
I was lucky to know these fabulous "Three Musketeers" for my entire life.   Although they say that "blood is thicker than water", my Uncle Nick and my Uncle Joe were probably my closest Uncles even though we didn't share an ounce of blood.  I loved them dearly.  They were marvelous men and I, too, was blessed by their loyal and steadfast friendship with my Father.   It actually is a bit comforting to know they are together again.  It also makes me feel that "heaven" is a warmer, more inviting place. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Helen. He was always in our lives and it is hard to believe he is now gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. I am wondering if Joe Mule lived in Rochester NY and worked as a pharmacutical representative for Burroughs Welcome. If so we knew him when we were kids. if not then please forgive my intrusion. margaret laughland brennan - margiebren@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete