Sunday, January 12, 2014

1937 - Dear "Sister Girl"

This is a letter written by my Aunt Maureen to my mother, Rita, on May 27, 1937.  Maureen Adele O'Donnell was born in Brooklyn, NY on 11-16-1918 therefore she was 18 years old when she wrote this letter (she was going to turn 19 years old in Nov. of 1917).  My mother was born on March 25, 1917 (Brooklyn) therefore she had just turned 20 two months earlier.
"Isn't it swell about Ann's new daughter? She's got red hair too. She should be cute.
                                                                            1017 Putnam Ave.
                                                                             Brooklyn, NY
                                                                             May 27th, 1937
Dear "Sister Girl",
              I thought I'd drop you a little note just to tell you I'm so lonesome for you.  Anne won't fight with me at all nice, like you do.  Gee won't we have some nice fights when you get home.
               I think I'm getting a raise at least Miss Johansen said she spoke for me.  Ain't that some thin? Another girl on my floor just quit Monday without notice & another fellow.  One of the girls is leaving Sat. too, she's getting married so we're getting a lot of new help.  My boss will be back from her vacation Tuesday, but that's not going to be a thrill for me, I wish she'd quit too.
               Ben was down Monday night.  He wanted to go up to Myrtle Ave to a Chinese Restaurant & have Chop Suey but I don't care much for it so we just went to an ice cream parlor & had sundaes.
On the way home we came down Putnam and as we didn't want to bump into Clare we turned off at the block before hers. And as you might know we'd only gone a few steps when we met her and a girl friend on their way home from school.  It was sort of an embarrassing situation for Ben 'cause Clare saw us turn down the block & most probably knew we were trying to avoid her.  Oh well---He's coming down Mon. & I guess we'll go to a show, there's nothing else to do.
             Mother says to tell you it would be best to come home Mon. if you can get a ride to Scranton.  But to let us know when you'll get in.
             I'm going to a dance Saturday night at Poly Tech.  Hank called up last Sat. & invited me.  We (our family) were out riding last Sun. & drove by his home.  Gee! you should see the nifty neighborhood they live in, our place looks like a shanty in comparison.  I hope he has his car.  Jack is going too, I believe, and that other couple, Ed & Edna that we went out with last time.  I think I'm going to get a new dress & would like to get a white jigger coat only I'll have to see how long the money holds out.
             I hope you got to the dance last nite & had a lot of fun.  How was the graduation?  Remind Mary she owes me a letter.
             I owe Eunice, Fran, Tom & Don letters so I'll have to close now & get busy on them.  Dad got applications for the Grade 2 Clerk position so we'll have to get busy studying.
                                                                       Lots of Love,
                                                                        Reen
Some of my reflections on this letter;
First of all I think this letter is adorable and so in tune with their young age!  Maureen sound like she was very popular with the opposite sex.
At the top of the letter, Maureen added an after-thought about the new baby that was just born.  I checked the O'Donnell genealogy records and discovered that this new baby girl was Maureen Krebs (Kragh) who was born on May 25, 1937 to Anne O'Donnell Krebs and her husband, Frank Krebs (she was their third child and their first daughter - after Warner (DOB: 12-19-32) and Noel (DOB: 12-26-1934)
I had heard that Maureen went with a guy named Ben.  The guy I heard about was suppose to be a bit of a playboy and I am not sure if the Ben mentioned in the letter is the same Ben.  I also heard the name Hank but don't know anything about him.  Obviously, Maureen was impressed by his neighborhood.
I'm curious to see a photo of a "white jigger coat" - I'll have to do a web search.
Rita was apparently up "in the country" to attend the graduation - I believe - of her cousin, Mary Rose.
I had heard that Maureen & Rita "loved" to fight.  Apparently there was some truth to it.  I heard that Maureen was neat and kept her wardrobe "on the ready" and Rita was a bit more "laid back" in this area.  Rita would discover she had nothing clean to wear and would raid Maureen's clothes for something to wear.  As you can imagine, Maureen wasn't too thrilled by this!
Maureen apparently wasn't too fond of her boss. ".......I wish she'd quit too."  Maureen was hoping to get a position as a Grade 2 Clerk.  Don't know if that ever happened.  I never heard my Aunt Maureen referred to herself as "Reen" but when you are this age, I think finding a new nickname was common.

No comments:

Post a Comment