Thursday, December 26, 2013

"You can't handle the truth!"

I can't stop thinking about Jack Nicholson's memorable line in his role as Colonel Jessup in the 1992 movie, "A Few Good Men".  Do you remember when Colonel Jessup is interrogated by the persistent attorney played by Tom Cruise and he loses his cool and screams back at him, "You can't handle the truth!".
Lately, I have been thinking a lot about " the truth".  There are times when the truth can be much more than any of us can handle.   The truth can be hurtful and heartbreaking.  I know there are some days when the truth is the last thing I want to hear.  There are other days when the truth could literally push me over the edge.
I have heard that God is truth.  I have also heard that God is love.  But is truth always so loving?
In the course of clearing out my father's "stuff" I have come across a whole lot of "truth".  Truths can be wonderful, tender, heartwarming, and poignant.  Truths can also be painful, tragic, and distressing.   I have learned things I never would have expected in a million years.  I have experienced emotions and have re-lived moments that were both agonizing as well as moments that were positively breathtaking.   I have learned that the human condition is a shared experience.    I realized that we are all traveling similar journeys, we all experience similar feelings, we all carry crosses of some sort or another.  I find this both humbling and awe-inspiring.  I find that there is an intermingling of joy and sorrow that weaves through our lives from generation to generation.   Personally,  I have found that the truths I have learned about others - even those truths that might be categorized as negative - have not caused me to love them any less.   As a matter of a fact knowing that we all struggle with the same sorts of things makes me feel that we are all in the same boat and it is a bit comforting.
My truth of today is probably not socially acceptable but I am very glad that Christmas is over! 

1 comment:

  1. Mary Beth you hit the nail on the head. I do agree with you and feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete