Tuesday, December 3, 2013

How Easy it is to Mess Up Geneology Facts

So, I have a confession to make.  The Christmas Card and poem that I attributed to Sister (Mother) Mary Coleman of the Maryknoll Sisters ( my Grandmother, Margaret Coleman O'Donnell's 1st cousin)  was, I now believe, sent by my Fifth Grade Nun, Sister Christiana of St. Michael's Elementary School.  This in truth does not surprise me since the mailing was more characteristic of the philosophy of Sr. Christiana.   Can you pick up on my negative attitude?  I was NOT a big fan of Sister Christiana!  At the end of the year in 5th grade she told me that the only reason she promoted me to the 6th grade was because my father chauffeured her around all the time.   Once, while in her class,  I had to stand at the front of the class and recite a poem.  I remember being really petrified. She basically told me, in a very disgusted tone of voice, to cease my recitation and sit down as I was doing such a terrible job.  As anyone with half a brain could well imagine, this does not do a lot for the self esteem of a 10 year old girl.   She also was fond of telling the class that we should lay in bed at night with our arms crisscrossed across our chests and pretend that we were in our coffins as this would keep us from sinning.   Oh my, the wonders of my years at St. Michael's. 
So what made me finally decide that the Christmas card  and poem was from her?
First and foremost I guess I was not thrilled by the poem. But that is an entire Blog in and of itself.
Strangely, just this morning when I was going through a few boxes of momentum's that I rescued from my parent's basement, I came across Sister Christiana's Holy Picture Card (from the time of her death).   The reason I didn't originally attribute the Christmas Card and poem to her is because it was signed S.M.C.  and I was thinking that had it been from Sister Christiana, there would be no M.  Guess what?  The Holy Card in remembrance of her death said. Sr. M. Chritiana.   Also the envelope with the Card and Poem is addressed Mrs. & Mrs. Chas Friess (not Mr. & Mrs. Chas Fries) - also there is no address or stamp on the front so it was probably given to me or Charlie to hand deliver to our parents.  Was this discovery a coincidence?  Father David Noone says there are no coincidences! Anyway,  I guess you could say I was quite happy to make this discovery.  I much prefer not to think that it was sent by Sister/Mother Mary Coleman.    Also, be careful what you believe about historical facts as there may be errors lurking throughout.   Once I read a family Census record that documented the last child of a family as Calhoun and male, age 1 year.  Ten years later this child was listed (the same family I am sure as I triple checked and there were 8 kids in the family) as Catherine and female, age 11 years.
Sorry Sister Christiana, I'm stilling having trouble forgiving your destructive behavior.

1 comment:

  1. Love these stories.. Don't ever stop writing them !

    ReplyDelete