Monday, December 2, 2013

December and Two Baby Boys Named Joseph

My brother, Joseph O'Donnell Fries, and my nephew, Joseph Adam Carrick were both born and died in the month of December.   These heartbreaking losses turned those Decembers from the  "most wonderful time of the year", into a time of heartbreak and depression.    My brother, Joseph, died on December 11, 1956 and from that time forward December held a different feel for me.  And then it happened again with another little Joseph.   Although December remains a season of hope, there is also a sense of loss and vulnerability.
I came across a Christmas Card that Sister Mary Coleman, Sister M. Chistiana (see next Blog Entry for details) sent to my parents that Christmas in 1956.  I didn't even know that they made Christmas cards like this so I took notice when I saw it in a pile of cards from years gone by.
   " To Comfort You at Christmas
              Faith
God grant you faith,
 When storms arise,
To see the light
In troubled skies:

God lead the way
And calm your fears,
His love your comfort
Through the years"

There was also a typewritten poem enclosed:
"To Mother and Father
(on the death of their child)
There's a corner up in heaven
Where the little babies play
And our Blessed Mother watches
All throughout the live long day,
They're a happy lot, these babies
Sure the reason's very plain
For they've missed the world's contagion
Came unscathed, without its pain,
"Tis an angel band they call them,
And you both should happy be,
You're the parents of an angel,
"Cause your baby's there you see,
Yes, and smiling down upon you
With an innocence sublime;
Waiting, watching for the parents
It will meet again in time.
You should never be rebellious,
Rather thank a loving God
For your little guardian Angel,
As along life's way you plod,
With a faith that never falters,
Clasping each other's hand
Pledge yourselves to meet your baby,
In that better happy land. "

I wonder what my parent's reaction was to this card and poem.  I thought of it today because today is Joseph Adam Carrick's birthday.   Also, tonight when Bob and I stopped over at my daughter, Diane's house,  my grandson, Connor, pointed out an ornament that is front and center on his Christmas tree.  It was from December of last year (2012)  and it is a photo of Connor and his Great-Grandpa, and it is signed on the back, "To Connor Love, Poppi" in my father's distinctive handwriting.   I started to cry and my 8 year old grandson hugged me and said, "don't worry Mema, Poppi's in a much better place."

No comments:

Post a Comment