Monday, August 27, 2012

Brother of My Heart


I always felt like Tommy was my brother.  Although 8 years younger than me, from the first day I met him, he reminded me of my older brother, Charlie.   Both men were gentle, loving, sweet, and non-judgmental.  Both had this understated, intelligent, marvelous sense of humor.  You’d have to listen and observe very carefully in order to catch the joke and see that special subdued grin.
Bob and I were lucky enough to see Tom one last time on Saturday afternoon when we stopped by his home on the way to 4PM Mass.   The door was wide open and his family was welcoming.   
My heart broke when I could clearly see that Tommy was just about ready to leave this earth.  
 I should have been consoling his ever faithful, loving wife, instead she was comforting me.  We asked each other, What will the earth be like without Tommy in it?   It was unimaginable. It was incomprehensible.  It was wrong.  
But when Mary added, “Tom is ready to go”, it gave me some measure of peace.     He had fought the good fight and now he was weary.
I tried to control my tears, I wiped my eyes and blew my nose and walked into the family room.     I went over to his chair and leaned over to kiss him on the cheek.   “I love you Tommy”, was the truth that came out of my mouth. This was all I felt I could say.    Actually, it was all that really mattered. “I love you too, Mary Beth “, he said.
I sat quietly in a chair at his side and took his hand in mine.    He looked into my eyes and saw the sorrow there.   He responded to my unspoken communication and his last message to me was, “we’ll do our best”.     
Yes, Tommy, Dear Brother of my Heart, we’ll do our best and it will be enough.   
Tommy left the earth this morning, Monday, August 27, 2012.    But, have no fear, his spirit will be around forever helping us to do our best.


No comments:

Post a Comment