Sunday, August 5, 2012

Boys Will Be Boys

It was an interesting experience observing Miguel from Madrid, Spain (age 8) and Connor from Latham, NY (age 7).
Language did not seem to be a barrier to their communication  with each other and the fun they appeared to share during their two week visit together.    Years ago I swore that everything was based on environmental interactions with children (in the nurture versus nature debate)  but now I believe there is a basic, innate difference between boys and girls.   Miguel and Connor enjoyed roughhousing and created a game in the pool, "It's My House!" in which they attempted to remove each other from the inflatable boat and/or tube.  It seemed rather rough to me ( a female) but the boys just loved it and would continue on and on and on with this activity for what seemed like forever to me.   Miguel was sweet and generous with Connor who is use to being the "King of the Hill" here at our house.  Connor enjoyed his time with his new friend from Spain and rambled on rapidly in English without any worry that Miguel is a neophyte to the language.  They seemed very comfortable and relaxed with each other and it was great fun to sit back and watch them relate. 

1 comment:

  1. My sister Judy and I resolved to raise our boys and girls exactly alike (hey, give me a break - it was the 80s!) So we put this theory to the test when she had a son and I had a daughter 4 months apart. Well, at 2 years, playing with dinosaurs together, Michael's dinosaurs were fighting each other and Alexis was dressing a two-headed beast in a Barbie dress. Yes, boys and girls are innately different! =)

    ReplyDelete