Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St. Patrick's Day thoughts

I am having a difficult time NOT marching in the parade today. 
I went out for a walk with a friend this morning here in my hometown of Latham, NY (near Albany) and I found myself marching to the sound of bagpipes.  
I thought about wearing my Nursing School cape but I was afraid that my friend might think I was nuts. She said she wouldn't have cared.  She's know me for years.  
I should have made the trip into Manhattan today since my head and  my heart were there anyway.   I had a terrible case of indecision - I simply could not make up my mind.  I had even picked up a little booklet recently and randomly turned to a page that said "never turn down the opportunity to march in a parade".   And yet I found excuses not to go - too much travel required - not many classmates were attending - needing to help with childcare for my grandson - husband might miss me - it's a Saturday and will be too crowded, and on and on.    I could not use the weather as an excuse.  It was probably the all-time best March 17th weather since Adam ate the apple.
They say that on your deathbed you don't regret the things that you did so much as you regret the things you didn't do and this is one for the regret column.  
Today, the St. Vincent's Hospital School of Nursing graduate and the "O'Donnell" part of me (my mother's maiden name) cried out to be walking in the sun up 5th Avenue.   
I must start planning ahead for next St. Patrick's Day.   I want that overwhelmingly exciting and amazing feeling one more time before I kick the bucket or my knees give out. 
 Maybe we can dazzle the crowds next year with the biggest SVH turnout in recent time.
  Mary Beth Fries Buchner- proud to be numbered at a member of the Class of 65
Quote for the Day:   Intuitive feelings always guide you in a direction of growth and purposefulness.
 


1 comment:

  1. We all will have numerous regrets on our deathbeds'for the things we didn't do. Nobody's perfect.

    ReplyDelete