Sunday, March 4, 2012

Impressions of "The Villages"

Frantic, frivolous fun
Frozen Margaritas 2 for 1
Happy Hour from Noon to Night 
Smiles plastered on faces
Grey Haired Cheerleaders in Lake Sumpter Square
             silly-looking to me 
Look-alike houses lined up neatly in a row

   
Look-alike seniors lined up at the bar
Mandatory waving as we pass by
Golf Carts intertwined among the Mercury Marquis's
speeding to the next activity
 barely missing us as we step off the curb
Pickle Ball, Golf, Line Dancing and Crafts
A Club for everything under the sun - Midwest Farmers' Daughters and Fireman too

Dogs have replaced the grand kids
But have no fear
You can skype them once a week
With such sterile contact you never have to touch a "poopie" diaper
Such things don't pass through your web cam

Oldie Songs piped into the air in the square, everywhere you wander in Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing
A day or two is fine and then I'd loose my mind

Make believe places - little lakes and waterfalls -  in a Fantasyland for "old people".
With a jolt, the frequent sirens of ambulances brings you back to the real world.

Is there ever too much of a good thing?
Or, is this in truth, a "good thing"?

Do I really want to live with only wrinkled teenagers?
Republicans all
Homogeneous
Lily white "Regular Americans"?

Where is the diversity?


What does it say when I get outrageously excited to see a young person or a child or someone of color? 

They say, if your lucky, your new neighbors have "garage parties" to welcome you into your new community.
You'll be so thrilled to have these marvelous new friends
But I ask and I wonder
Can I really replace my life-long friends so easily? 

Are sun and play an even exchange for these people that I love
 or
is one as good as another in this game called life?
Not so for me.
I don't want to live in an amusement park every day for the rest of my time here on earth.
And, I can't give you up so joyfully.   You're too irreplaceable to me.









2 comments:

  1. AMEN, sister!! Staying in Charlotte suits us just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place looks scarey to me! Can understand why you were not comfortable there. Glad we don't have to worry about you moving there!

    ReplyDelete