Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sad News

When we arrived home today after an overnight trip to Long Island, we received the news that my Aunt Maureen had died. Aunt Maureen was my mother's younger sister. My Mom was born in 1917; Maureen in 1918 (they're an Irish Catholic family- the babies come close together). Aunt Maureen was 91 years old and had recently broken her hip and was not doing very well. Last night she died in her sleep in a nursing home in Florida. It was getting harder and harder for her to communicate and I guess it is safe to say her quality of life wasn't the best. Nonetheless, it is difficult to say that final good-bye. Bob and I are going to Florida in a week and a half and we were planning to visit Aunt Maureen while we were there. I haven't seen her in quite some time and I was looking forward to seeing her again. Obviously, it was not meant to be and I would not have wanted to extend her suffering just so I could say good-bye.
One of the first things that came to mind when I heard the news was the joyous reunion in heaven. I pictured Maureen being greeted by her sisters, Rita, Anne and Dorothy and her brother, Joe. Her husband and her parents are there too so she won't be alone. It made me feel better to sense that she was immediately enfolded in the arms of people who loved her. She deserved nothing less.
We'll be heading back to Long Island on Wednesday to participate in the celebration of Aunt Maureen's life and support her children as they bring their Mother to her final resting place.
A long time ago Aunt Maureen kind of laughed and said to me, Mary, will you say a few words for me when I die? Although I am not exactly sure how it happened, over time I had gained the reputation of being the eulogist of the family. So today when my cousin, Tom, mentioned that, if I wanted to, I could say a few words at his Mom's service on Thursday, I remembered Aunt Maureen's request. Her words came back to me again and today I answer her,
Aunt Maureen, it would be my honor.
Your niece, Mary Beth

2 comments:

  1. Mary Beth - I'm very sorry for your loss. I will pray for aunt Maureen...Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of Aunt Maureen's passing. I have many fond memories of her sitting at our table playing cards. Please pass my condolences to your family.

    Cousin Terri

    ReplyDelete