Thursday, February 4, 2010

Betrayal



My sister, Meg, and I went to a matinee at the Capital Repertory Theatre in Albany this past Sunday. It was a spur of the moment decision prompted by the $20 side seats special offer. As members of the Fries family we learned early on not to pass up a bargain. Besides, it is a very small theater and basically every seat in the house is a good one. It was nice to spend a little time with my "baby" sister. Even though we live only about 5 minutes from each other we don't get to see each often enough to satisfy me. Meg, being almost 10 years younger than me, still works a full time job. She is also a wife, Mom, cook, cleaner, exerciser, Yoga student, artist, etc. so she is a very busy lady. So when I heard I could have her all to myself for a couple of hours, I jumped on the opportunity.
We enjoyed the play, Betrayal. It was the story of a love triangle that entangled a married couple and their best man. Robert's wife, Emma, has an affair with Robert's best friend, Jerry. Jerry comes on to her and she succumbs to his flattery and attention. I found the human dynamics very interesting and Meg and I talked about it on our way home in the car. The main feeling I was left with after hearing their story was the utter futility of this type of situation. No one wins; everyone is damaged. In the end, no matter how exciting it might appear initially, it is just not worth it. My discussion with Meg, eventually led me to the subject of Tiger Woods and cheating. Having spoken to a lot of different women on the subject, I seem to be one of the few who might actually be willing to forgive Tiger's infidelities. If I was his wife, I believe that I would be able to forgive him. I'm not stupid and I would want to know more of the details and circumstances before making a final decision. I've also been told to be careful what I say in front of Bob, i.e., don't give him any ideas! Believe me, I am not stating my viewpoint in order to give Bob my permission to cheat on me, rather I'm just saying I wouldn't automatically give up on our relationship just because he had sex with another woman. I feel it is foolish to leave a relationship in anger without first trying to understand why the infidelity happened in the first place. You might end up regretting it for the rest of your life. My Catholic School training led me to believe that sins of the flesh were the most horrendous sins of all. But, as one of the young ladies (Riso) in the movie, Grease, sang , "there are worse things I could do". People cheat for many reasons and although betrayal of trust is painful, I believe there are worse things you could do.
Call me crazy.
MB

1 comment:

  1. Your insight on infidelity is interesting. My experience, having been married for a loooong time, is that nothing would be worth damaging my husband and my relationship, and I know he feels the same way. I agree that it is a lose/lose situation borne completely out of selfishness. But beyond that, I feel I'm just beginning to understand what marriage is all about! When you consider marriage a spiritual union, it puts it in a completely different light. I fear many marriages today don't stand on that spiritual base and that's why so many are failing. Beyond that, say "hey" to Meggie for me. She's always held a special place in my heart.

    Your cuz Terri

    ReplyDelete