Monday, January 15, 2024

August 7, 1936 Letter from Friendsville

                                Friendsville 
                                           Susq Co
                                                 Penna
                                                      Aug 25, 1936
Mon Cher Ami,
           I finished a letter to your sister before supper, and since I’m trying to get all my correspondence finished at once, I’ve decided to write to you, also.I’m in hopes this will give you ample time to answer before I go back. 
            I had a most enjoyable trip up. It didn’t seem any time before I reached Scranton, and the folks were there with open arms to greet me. That evening I went to a house party held near Endicott, NY, a city about 15 or 20 miles from Friendsville. Some drive to a party, don’t you think? We had a very good time square dancing, - so good we didn’t come home till three in the morning. My cousins Rosina and Maryrose both stayed at Grandma’s over night. Then Rosina’s mother and Dad came over after her and I went back with her. 
( Gee, this sounds like a daily dairy but I really don’t know what else to write about.) Well, last night I went on a “weanie roast”. I wish you could have been here to help me roast my dogs. 
Tomorrow night Rosina is holding a dance in their hall up over the store. It is to be in our honor, and the whole country side is invited. We sent over thirty cards. It’s too bad our gang couldn’t be up for it, too. I still think you ought to try to come up for even a day or so.  This weekend there is going to be another hot dog roast and next a dance.  So you see there’d be somethin’ to go to if you came. I haven’t got much more so I’ll close for now. 
                  Avec d’amour beau-coup and xxxx,
                                        Rita
P.S. I started this yesterday but you see I didn’t get time  to finish. We had a nice storm last night. By nice I mean no thunder or lightning. We had a thunderstorm Sunday evening and Rosina and I were saying our Rosary and stirring fudge at the same time. My Uncle got a big kick out of us. Today we were visiting and had a swell chicken dinner. I’ll be so fat that when you see me you won’t know me. I’m going to run over to the post office with this so I’ll be sure it gets mailed. 
                  With best regards to all
                           (especially you)
                                       R.O’D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment