Sunday, October 4, 2020

Sharing My Story to Heal the Broken Child - Sr. Christiana Part 3

Sr. Christiana - Part 3 Possibly some of you reading my story may think I was just too sensitive and the incidents I describe were really no big deal. Of course that is your prerogative. Nonetheless, they were terribly traumatic to me and I need to continue to write them down in an effort to better understand what I experienced and in an attempt to rid my self of certain painful memories. One day I sitting at a desk that was physically connected to the desk of a boy named Louis. I was minding my own business and attending to the lesson, when Louis leaned over and grabbed my ruler off the top of my desk. The lesson being taught did not require a ruler and it was obvious by the smirk on his face that Louis was just trying to “bug me”. When I attempted to reach for my ruler, Louis jerked it from my grip and moved it further away from me. I said “give me my ruler back” just as Sr. Christiana turned around from the blackboard to see what the commotion was about. Louis smiled innocently while Sister told me to stand up. When I tried to explain honestly what had just happened she shut me up immediately, saying she wasn’t interested in hearing what I had to say. Instead while the entire class sat gaping at me she demanded I gather up all my books and other belongings and move to the last seat in the last row in the back corner of the classroom. My classmates watched in dead silence as I gathered up everything from my desk and vacated my seat. I felt like the biggest fool on this earth as, loaded to the gills, I struggled down the isle and across the back of the room to my place of banishment. Louis sat at his desk gloating. Sr. Christiana did not say one word to Louis. What happened to me that day was completely unjustified. I did nothing wrong. Why was I the one being punished? In retrospect when I try to analyze Sr. Christiana’s behavior I can’t understand her reasoning. Did it have anything to do with the fact that she might have liked the boys better than the girls? I’ve heard that said about certain nuns. Or was it something about me that she didn’t like? Could it have been that she was simply working on the premise that a kid from Public School was somehow inferior and needed to be broken down and reformed? At this point in my life, I was quite innocent and I wasn’t trying to cause any trouble. But Sr. Christiana was doing a damn good job of breaking me down! Can I ever forgive her? I don’t remember how long I was in that last seat in the last row in the corner. Some days I feel as if I’m still there. to be continued.... possibly the worse is yet to come.

1 comment: