Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Sharing my Story to Heal the Broken Child - Sr. Christiana and the Horrors of 5th Grade. Part 5 - One Weird Memory and the Ultimate Final Insult

 


 
I don’t remember anything good about 5th grade. Surely something positive must have happened during an entire school year. I do remember making one friend, a girl who lived across the street from the church, by the name of Lorraine Fischle (spelling?). I believe I might have been her only friend and because she was as desperate for a friend as I was, we got together. Possibly because she came from a German household and my father was from a German household, we had some things in common. However she was an avid NY Yankees fan and I was a diehard fan of those Brooklyn Bums. Her team beat my team every year and she loved to laud it over me. Thank God for 1955, that one glorious World Series when the Dodgers finally won. Even so, this one glorious moment of victory occurred the following Fall when I was finally finished with Sr. Christiana. So before I tell you how my year in 5th grade ended, I want to share one very weird thing that Sr. Christiana taught us to do. She told us that every night when we got into bed, we should lie perfectly still with our arms folded across our chests and pretend we were dead and lying in our coffins. She said this would motivate us to behave. Honestly, what kind of fruitcake tells 9 year old kids to do such a thing? I believe I may have tried it once, but once was enough for me.
This Blog entry might be a bit longer than usual but honestly, I’m tired of Sr. Christiana and 5th grade so I want to get this part of my story over with. I’m sure that you, my reader, have had enough of her too.
I’ve often tried to remember if I told my parents what was happening to me at school and how I was feeling about. I don’t remember any specific conversations with them although I knew or at least I thought I knew that my parents and especially my father thought that the nuns and priests could do no wrong. The prevailing attitude was, “ whatever sister said, is right “. I can see now why young kids who were sexually abused by clergy, might not have reported it their parents. I learned not to respect people simply based on externals such as a Roman Collar or a uniform or a title or position, but rather on the basis of their integrity and the contents of their heart. A very good example of this is Father Godfrey Leuchinger, OFM Cap., who I considered to be one of the greatest human beings I had the pleasure of knowing. I respected him because he was a man of integrity and he possessed a kind and loving heart.
Actually this blog entry is getting a little too long and it is almost midnight so I’ll have to get out of Sr. Christiana’s Class tomorrow or the next day.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment