Monday, October 19, 2020

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

Eighty years ago today, on October 19th, 1940 my parents were married at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church on Putnam Ave in the Bushwich section of Brooklyn. Their breakfast/luncheon reception was held in the Solarium of the Hotel Granada. My mother was delighted to be a married woman and many times over the years, in her own ethereal way, she expressed to me the joys of conjugal love. I think my Dad was happy to be married too but my mother was typically more verbal about these things. We actually have video of their wedding day outside of the church and at the reception which have now been preserved on a DVD. Happy Anniversary, Mommy and Daddy. We miss you but feel your presence and your influence with us still, both the good and the bad ( as in all things in life ). I sure hope that you are somewhere enjoying the bliss of eternity.
Today, while wading through the mountains of junk on my Dad's back porch, I came across a notebook that contained some stories that my mother wrote for me years ago.  I put some questions on each page in the notebook and my mother answered some of them.
Here is one such question and my mother's answer:
What do you remember about your wedding?
On the night before our wedding our apartment was crowded with out of town guests.  Aunt Nellie invited me to sleep in her apartment upstairs. Before bedtime, Aunt Nellie gave me a glass of wine to drink to assure that I would have no trouble getting to sleep.  The wine did the trick and I fell asleep immediately. In 1940 the Eucharistic fast began at midnight and nothing to eat or drink could be taken after that time.
The next morning at 8 a.m. I walked around the corner to our beautician to have my hair combed.
Mass was at 10 a.m.  Maureen, Dad, and I left at 9:30 to be on time.  Although I had wanted the song, "Believe me for all those endearing young charms" sung during the Mass, I was told since it was not a hymn it could not be used at the ceremony.  As it turned out I am happy to say the hymn, "Panis Angelicus" was sung in its place.  It is a beautiful hymn that I heard for the first time at our wedding.  A friend on my cousin Gene O'Donnell was the soloist.
I remember how grateful and happy I felt.  My heart was filled with joy and gratitude to God for giving me the man of my dreams that day, and I was surrounded by the people I loved and were close and important to me.
I felt a tinge of sadness when all the unmarried, young people left to continue partying while Charlie and I felt obliged to stay at home with the married folk.  At close to midnight Uncle John and Aunt Rose dropped us off at our new apartment on 1492 Bushwich Avenue.  I remember it was snowing when we reached our apartment.  When we reached our door Charlie carried me over the threshold. 


Here is the Announcement from the Newspaper: Miss Rita Mary O'Donnell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. O'Donnell of 1017 Putnam Ave., was married to Charles Anthony Fries, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Frries of 64 Interboro Parkway, yesterday. The Rev. James Bulger performed the ceremony at Our Lady of Good CounselChurch. A wedding reception and dinner took place in the Roof Garden of the Hotel Granada. Miss Maureen O'Donnell, sister of the bride, was maid of honor. Miss Gene O'Donnell, cousin and Miss Rosemary Fries, sister of the bridegroom were the bridesmaids. Joseph Fries Jr., brother, was best man. Benjamin Tishscler and Joseph O'Donnell, brother were ushers. Noel Krebs, cousin of the bride, was ring bearer. The bride was given in marraige by her father. She wore a gown of white slipper satin, trimmed with pearl medallions. Her long illusion veil was attached to an irredescent pearl tiara and she carried white chrysanthemums. The maid of honor wore a gown of gold net over taffeta and a heart shaped halo matching the gown. She had a bouquet of golden yellow chrysanthemums and autumn leaves. The bridesmaids wore gowns of rust net and heart-shaped halos to match. They carried chrysanthemum bouquets. After a motor trip to Washington and through the South, the couple will make their residence at 1492 Bushwich Ave.

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice that you have both a written and video account of their wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anniversary mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete