Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Popp’s, Woodhaven, Jimmy McKenna, John Folliard ( my Woodhaven Boyfriend) Part 2




I’m not sure how John and I traveled to the wedding but I remember being in St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Woodhaven for the wedding ceremony. It may have even been a full nuptial Mass, but I wouldn’t swear to it. It was my understanding that the bride was a big financial contributor to the church and was a friend of the priest performing the nuptials.  Of course the thing about this wedding that we all probably remember quite clearly is the fact that the bride was about 30 years older than the groom, who, by the way, was none other than Kenny McKenna! 
I forget where the reception was held; it  might have been a place in Forest Hills. I remember it as being a rather upscale event because- surprise, surprise - the bride apparently had a few bucks.  
I think that John was actually one of the ushers, but he’ll have to confirm this for you.  
I also believe that John was able to sit with me at a round table rather than at a Dias with the bridal party.  The main thing I remember about the reception is the fact that at some point during the event, Kenna McKenna came to our table and leaned over a sexy-looking Bombshell and said, “ Don’t worry, Baby, I’m not dead yet!”  John and I looked at each other with an “Oh My God “ expression on our faces. 
I remember we traveled back home by several buses.  I had a very nice time and as always, John was a perfect gentleman. 
Here a few things I remember about my teenage relationship with John Folliard: 
  • walking down a street in Woodhaven on a cold, crisp Christmas Eve to attend the Midnight Mass at St. Thomas the Apostle Church.   
  • Special gifts - a round, 14 karat gold miraculous medal on a chain, and my first “ classy” perfume, Chanel # 5. 
  • Going to see the Christmas Show and the Rockettes at the Radio City Music Hall with John and some of the Woodhaven crowd. 
  • I remember being in someone’s second floor apartment and dancing with John to an entire album of slow, romantic Johnny Mathis songs.  
I am not sure when we stopped dating or why.  I always marveled at couples like Sharon and Bob, Carol and Wally and Janet and John who seemed to commit to each other at such an early age.  They seemed to know what they wanted at such an early age.  It just wasn’t me.  I wasn’t ready. For one thing, I was brainwashed regarding the sinfulness of human sexuality during my years in Catholic School.  I’ve often thought it is a wonder I ever got married!  Even my own father finally told me “ Let the rope out slowly”.  I guess he was scared he’d be stuck having his daughter at home forever.  
Maybe it is a “getting near the end of my life type of thing” but for some reason it feels important for me to say, thanks John Folliard, for being real, and oh so kind to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment