Sunday, June 14, 2020

Popp's - the Pandemics and Honorable Mentions

First of all, I want to say thank you for allowing me to share my memories of Woodhaven with you.  It was a fun experience and helped me to have something pleasant to do during this time of the Coronavirus shut down.  I realize that I can’t possibly remember all the things about Popp’s and Woodhaven that, you, the people who actually lived in the neighborhood, remember.  Nonetheless, for the sake of closure and completeness, I would like to briefly mention some of the people and places, however foggy, which were a part of the Woodhaven experience for me.  If you are so inclined, I’d love to hear what you remember from those faraway days of our youth. 

  • I remember that there was a “rival” Ice Cream Parlor on the other side of Jamaica Avenue and up a few blocks towards Woodhaven Blvd.  And never the two shall meet! 
  • I can still see the inside of that amazing place known as Lewis of Woodhaven. There was all kinds of “stuff”, up and down the crowded aisles, all over the place.  You could find almost anything in that store and for me it was always an adventure, whether you really needed something or just wanted to browse.
  • Then there was Jason’s Toy store where my cousin, Tom, worked as a teenager. It was also through that store that he met a wonderful young woman by the name of Maureen Scanlon.  One of Tom’s coworkers was a teacher from Long Island who was moonlighting at Jason’s.  It just so happened that one of his students from Hicksville was a perfect match for Tom, a blind date was arranged, and the rest, as they say, is history. Maureen Scanlon Marski was one of the nicest people that ever walked this earth.  Everyone who knew her loved her.   
  • Jackie Sweeney worked at Candy Store on Jamaica Avenue and Forest Parkway. It was a classy candy store but it wasn’t like Ralph Popp’s Place, where everybody knew your name. 
  • Weekends in the nicer weather meant football at the edge of Forest Park. It was an informal thing, no fancy uniforms or anything like that but the guys liked to strut their stuff for the young ladies who came to watch.  
  • I remember LuAnn (I believe she was with Jackie Sweeney for awhile?)
  • I remember a girl named Kathy and I think she was connected with my “real Woodhaven boyfriend” for a bit. 
  • I remember a very, very tall thin guy and I always remember feeling a bit sorry for him. Not because there was anything wrong with him, but simply because it is a tough thing for a teenager to be so off the average bell curve in physical appearance. 
  • I remember a diner on one of the corners. I believe it might have been called the Empire Diner, but I’m not certain. I didn’t go there much until my Woodhaven experience was nearing its end (which I will speak about in my next and last Popp’s Posting). I grew up in a family where dinner out in a restaurant was a rarity.  My father didn’t believe in such extravaganza, so for me, lunch or dinner out, even if it was only in a simple diner, was a very big deal. 
  • When I was looking for old photos of Woodhaven on the web, I came across a place I was not familiar with, a really historic bar called Neir’s.  Did you know there were some interesting events that took place in both Neir’s and the Shamrock Bar?  So interesting in fact, that they actually offer tours? Look it up, it is intriguing. 
  • Speaking of interesting stories, did you ever hear how the friendship between Kenny McKenna and Jack Cassidy ended?   Sadly, it is not a story for Prime Time.  That’s all I’ll say. 
  • Whatever happened to Mike Roach and a guy named Mickey? 
  • I remember a little candy /Mom and Pop Grocery Store on the corner not too far from where Bob Smith lived.
  • Of course, I remember St. Thomas the Apostle Church and especially the Christmas Eve Midnight Mass.
  • The last thing I’ll mention tonight was a fruit and vegetable store that opened onto the sidewalk along Jamaica Ave or did I dream that up? Possibly Jimmy McKenna worked there?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment