Wednesday, June 3, 2020

More People I Met Though Popp's

 An even older photo of Popp's
Besides Bob Smith,Tom Marski’s best friend and my cousin, Sharon O’Donnell who met at my 13th Birthday Party, there was one other couple I remember who were “an item” at a very young age. I didn’t know them quite as well as I knew Sharon and Bob and Carol and Wally so my perceptions may be a bit misconstrued. I remember them as being a bit similar to a “ famous” American Bandstand couple by the name of Justine Carrelli and Bob Clayton. Justine and Bob were two young teenagers from the Philadelphia area who met on bandstand and eventually became one of the most popular and most “ followed “ couples on this popular after school show. They were frequently seen dancing together on Bandstand. As silly as it sounds now, at that time in my life I also remember watching to see when they were "fighting"; and feeling sad when they “separated”.  I would actually feel like rejoicing when they “got back together again”. In my eyes, they seemed like an ultra cool couple and I was rooting for them to be together.
Well, there was a couple I met at Popp’s that reminded me of Justine and Bob.   I remember them as an attractive, fair-haired couple, basically what I labeled in my brain as a "cool couple".   They both seemed to be very self-assured, and no-nonsense.  I couldn't imagine what it must feel like to be so hip.   I thought of them as the J & J couple.  Even their names were cool in an era long before names like JLo and Brangelina were in vogue.  What made them all the more exciting to me was the fact that, just like the famous American Bandstand couple - Justine and Bob, Janet and John really seemed to enjoy "fighting" with each other.   From my vantage point, I remember them breaking up and making up all the time.  They were what I would describe as a bit volatile, and my life seemed way too mundane in comparison. It was great drama to watch from the sidelines.   Nonetheless, I believe they were also another young couple whose love survived the test of time. 
 
Postscript: My husband and I were also what I would define as a volatile couple.  Many people were surprised we made it through our first year of marriage.  Every relationship is unique and one type of relationship is not necessarily better or worse than another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment