Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Decker Brothers - Part 13



We stopped by H.B. Decker Road the next day and our new lady friend is home. She invited us to sit at a table in her side yard as she went into her house to retrieve the Decker Family History book that she had located somewhere among her belongings.

It was obvious that she had done her research, because she immediately pulled up the pertinent page, and there in black and white was the documentation that proved that the mythical characters known as the "Hillbillies" really did exist.   I believe that she was possibly as surprised as I was that Golden, Lyle and Stanley were not a figment of my imagination.
Golden Emerson Decker was indeed the oldest of the three boys, born 9-19-42. Next in birth order came “my sweetheart”, Lyle Evan Decker born 11-4-43 and last but by no means least, Stanley Duane Decker who was born 1-5-45. There were two siblings born before Golden and several more siblings born after Stanley but since I never knew they existed my eyes focused solely on the famous trio.
I was happy to see that all three brothers had married and had children which left me with a happy feeling. It seemed to point to the fact that their lives had turned out fulfilling in spite of the fact that they had to live without those Foxy Ladies from New York City! I was a bit surprised to see how young they were when they married. Lyle was only 20 years old when his first child, Lyle, Jr was born.
Just about this time, I started to reflect on the meaning of my search. Why did I have this need to find out what happened to Golden, Lyle and Stanley Decker? I took the lead I had gotten from the lovely lady of H.B. Decker Rd. and went to Facebook. I felt a bit like a detective and I found it an interesting challenge. I happened to see a woman by the name of Holly Decker on Facebook and even a guy named Golden Decker. I sent the first couple of parts of my story entitled “The Decker Brothers” to both of them in. Facebook message but heard nothing back. Then one evening several weeks later I received a Facebook messenger response from Holly Decker telling me that she thought my story was fascinating. I guess it is not surprising that it would be interesting to her since she just happened to be Golden Decker’s firstborn!  I imagine it is fun to hear stories about your beloved father from a long ago time when you were not yet even a twinkle in his eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment