Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Decker Brothers - Bittersweet

On August 24th 2018 I received a Facebook message from Golden Decker’s eldest daughter. I had sent a message to her via Facebook several weeks ago with the beginnings of my “The Decker Brothers” story inquiring if she was somehow related to Golden, Lyle or Stanley Decker.  So, I was pleasantly surprised to receive her response that not only was she related to the Decker Family but was actually Golden Decker’s oldest daughter. It was amazing to connect with the “Deckers” after 57 years!  I am curious to hear a little bit about how their lives proceeded. 



But, I was quite saddened when in the next sentence she informed me that her two Uncles, Lyle and Stanley had passed away. Although I didn’t hear a word about the Decker Brothers since the Fall of 1961, hearing that Lyle and Stanley had died had an intense impact on me.  I was truly devastated.  I wanted to know all about them, but I didn't want to know that they were dead!!    I am 73 and I knew they were close in age to me but somehow I didn't expect this news.  I guess it was normal for me to grieve because as far as my mind and my heart knew, they had just died.  I didn't want them to be dead.  I had this fantasy in my head of attending the next Decker Family Reunion and getting to reminisce with them over old times.   If you noticed I stopped writing for awhile.  I was in a bit of shock and I was in mourning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment