Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Who met my Uncle Joe?

With Memorial Day upon us I cannot help but remember my Uncle Joe O'Donnell and the significance of his loss.   The thoughts that flow through my brain at this time of remembrance are just that  - my thoughts, my feelings.
I thought about the fact that Marie, his 26 year old wife, was never able to fall asleep in his arms again; never to feel the warmth of his touch upon her body or hear his words, "I love you" whispered in her ear..
I thought that Sharon, 6 & 1/2 years old  and Diane , 3 years old, never sat on his lap again, never again heard a bedtime story from his lips or felt those lips on their foreheads as they laid their heads upon their pillows.   I thought how I missed seeing him in vacation photos from the beach or at  birthday parties and family celebrations throughout the years.   I thought about the fact that Sharon & Diane 's Daddy missed their First Communions, their Confirmations, and their Graduations.  And his arm wasn't there to lend his support as they walked down the aisle on their wedding days. I thought about the fact that he missed meeting his sons-in-law, Bob Smith and John O'Rourke and never held a grandchild or a great-grandchild!    It is not fair.  It is not fair.
I realize that there aren't many people alive today who had the pleasure of meeting him face to face.  
Oh sure, we talk a lot about him. and there are photos and letters but they flat and one-dimensional.  They are not his living presence.     I feel so diminished that life went on without him and I feel a tremendous sense of loss for all the grandchildren and great grandchildren that never had the pleasure of his warm smile, his gentle voice and his loving embrace.
I still mourn, I still wonder why.  And I still feel blessed to have experienced his living presence.
I don't forget, and I won't ever forget.  He made a very big impression on this little girl.
Addendum:  Judy and Terry,  Do you know who is Mrs. Mary Coleman who is mentioned in the newspaper clipping??  

No comments:

Post a Comment