Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Christmas 1947 Photo of Luke's "New" bookcases

This photo was taken at 62 Interboro Parkway, Brooklyn 7, NY to appear on our homemade photo greeting cards the Christmas of 1947.  Marty was born on Sept 10, 1947, so this is why I am certain of the year.  My mother liked a lot of color and design, didn't she?  My Dad's college friend and lifelong buddy, Nick Pascarelli, was the photographer.   "Uncle" Nick  would take our family's photos and my Dad would take photos of the Pascarelli Family who at this time in history consisted of Nick, his wife, Dorothy, Richard and Dorothy, Jr.
 A few days later,  we would develop the Photo Greeting Cards in our kitchen on the kitchen table My Dad would convert the kitchen into a dark room for this fun "developing/production" day.  I remember that activity with great fondness.   The room was dimly lit with a special yellow tone light and we were not allowed to turn on the regular lighting or the photos would be destroyed.  It was very exciting to use tongs to place the blank paper into a vat of some sort of developing chemicals and then into the next vat and see the picture gradually materialize before your very eyes.  I always thought I'd be a photographer after those experiences from my youth. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I remember the "dark room" in your basement.

    ReplyDelete