Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Luke - while in the midst of his storm

"                                                          Saturday, Sept. 8, 1979

Dear Luke,
         This morning I called to tell Grandpa you were so very sick last night.  He was upset and extremely worried about you.
          We were all very tired because we were up late last night.  We slept late today.  In the afternoon Dad and Mom and I visited you.  We were pleasantly surprised to see how well you looked.  We were sad to see how uncomfortable you look with the respirator tube in your nose and the IV in your arm. We hope you can be taken off it soon.
          After our afternoon visit to the hospital we came home for an hour or two.  Aunt Mary Beth and Uncle Bob, Brian and Diane went to Uncle Bob's boss' party.  Your Daddy, Mom and I had dinner at Howard Johnson's on Central Avenue.  Mom and I had turkey, your Dad had liver.  After dinner we went to see you again.  You are adorable.  We feel badly because we can't rock you.  You are cuddly and we miss holding you.  We're praying you'll get better quickly so we can show you we love you by holding you.
          Grandpa called tonight.  He felt sick himself knowing you are sick.  He couldn't even eat breakfast this morning when he heard about you.  See how many people are concerned about you and love you!  Aunt Anne O'Donnell called to see how you were doing.
                                                                Love, Grandma"
I remember that party on Sept 8th 1979.  It was physically a nice day and the party was held outside in a private backyard which was surrounded by woods and greenery. Normally, I would have enjoyed a day out and away from my homemaker duties but that particular day I remember that it felt incongruous being at a party.   I  didn't really know the people all that well since they were Bob's colleagues from work. I just couldn't hold it together - I felt so sad. I really didn't think Luke was going to make it and my heart was breaking.   I separated myself from the people and cried.  

Skip forward to September 8th 2013 -( I just now realized this moment that these two events both happened on Sept 8th - only the second event occurred 34 years later)
Late on the Sunday night before my father died,  I was sitting next to him as he lay in his bed and he said to me, "Is Luke coming?"  I was a bit surprised with his question and answered, 'Gee, Poppi, I don't know."  A little while later he asked me again if Luke was coming.  I really didn't know whether I should call Luke that late on a Sunday night - by this time it was midnight.  I figured he had to get up for work the next day since it was a Monday and I hesitated to wake him. Initially, I considered waiting until the next day to call him.  But my father's request was strong and persistent.  Something told me to call Luke right then and there.  When I called, Luke was wide awake.  He was in the car on his way back to the Capital District after being away for the weekend.   It was a comfort for me to tell my Dad that Luke was on his way and would be there soon.  My father visibly relaxed when I told him Luke was coming.  I relaxed too. 
It was obvious that my father really, really wanted to see his " little Luke" one more time.  Poppi died in the middle of the night two days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment