Friday, April 18, 2014

Jim's E-mail Summary regarding his recent trip to Haiti



Jim’s Summary of his recent trip to Fontaine
"Pictures to follow if I can get this computer to cooperate....JIM

trip to St. Gabriel's school

I have to say that Kay has said it all but I want to add a few things that I think I saw and how I felt about the trip.  

At first I wasn’t going, then I thought about it and decided that there would be no better time to go since the 14 medical students and the doctors would be there along with Father Noone and Richard Urban our financial officer.   I was still not sure but as I said what better time to go.   I have to say the same thing that Kay said and that the people we are helping could not have been more thankful and in need then those we met and talked to by way of interpreters.  It is truly a mission of mercy since the people of the town do not have ANYTHING.    They are in little one and two room huts that have no electricity or water and they are trying to survive on a few root vegetables that they grow in their little piece of the earth.  I agree with Kay, They have nothing but GOD and they are such strong believers in his mercy and help that they seem to be happy with what they have since they do not know the rest of the world is different from them and that is a good thing. 

The trip was really uneventful for many things that happened were minor items in a usual trip of this kind.  To see the people who came to the clinic was truly inspiring and awesome.   The students and doctors worked from sun up to sun down with just a little time to eat a sandwich and drink some water.  Most of the people waited all day to see a doctor and many of them had to be turned away after they waited all day since there was no light to see the people.  The students did all they could and were exhausted after each day and became more so after 5 days of seeing people.  Their spirits however became stronger each day after seeing the need people had for some kind of health aid.  There is such a great need for doctors, nurses and aids in the medical field that it would take an army of people to cover their needs. 

Thanks to people that supported their need for medical supplies.  They managed to have enough vitamins and antibiotics to cover almost all the 900 people they saw. 

We have so much and they have so little.  It is hard to believe that they live on the same planet and survive in the poverty that they do.  People need to visit there and to see firsthand the squalor they live in and the lack of any basic things that we have, in order to see how much we have and how much they need.   I would encourage all people to see life in this country and to thank GOD for all that we have and to try to see their way to help improve the lives of these loving and thankful people. 

I found the trip to be very emotional and want to be so thankful for all that I have and want to continue to try to make their lives just a little better.  I hope all that are part of this committee and the board will consider how much more we have to do to make it even close to livable.  As President of the Friends of Fontaine,I will be talking about this for a long time to come.   I hope that we can encourage the people who are supporting this mission, to continue to be as generous as they have been and if they have the chance to go to Haiti, that they will try to go and see firsthand what they have been supporting.  Like doubting Thomas....Until you see it first hand and put your feet on the ground and walk in their shoes, you will not believe what the situation is in Fontaine.

I thank everyone for their prays and well wishes for the trip and I pray myself that you try to go to see the fruits of your labors and that you become real true believers that what we are doing is God's will.  We are making a difference and I know you will continue to be believers in this project and support it with all that you have.   THANK YOU AGAIN for your support.      JIM"



No comments:

Post a Comment