Monday, March 17, 2014

My thoughts regarding the musical, The Book of Mormon


Right off the top of my head, I would have to say that I initially enjoyed this musical.  Nonetheless I was a bit shocked when the Swahili chant was translated into English and it meant “F God”.  Really, I did think this was a bit over the top and unnecessary.  I realize that the authors were looking for shock value and I must admit they accomplished this.  I was shocked and from the uncomfortable gasp I heard from the viewing audience, I think that others in the crowd were shocked too.   Wit, sarcasm and ridicule were used in abundance throughout the entire play, but then again satires are supposed to be this way.   I get what they were trying to do.
In many ways the musical was colorful, funny and lively. I loved the African Dancing!  Although I certainly don’t consider myself a prude, I felt the scene where the African’s stage a show for the Director of the Mormons was a little too crude for my taste.   Plus, maybe my hearing is going, but the singing and activity in this scene was so frantic, I found it difficult to hear the dialogue.  For me, the play went on a little too long.  I liked the First Act better than Act Two, and midway through the second act, I was ready to go home.   Nonetheless, I definitely related to what I believe was the purpose/message of the authors.  Years ago in my Catholic School training I was made to understand that we the “saved”; we “the people with the only true Religion” were suppose to work to “change” , “convert”, and “save” the “pagans”.    Arrogant and a bit self-righteous, wouldn’t you say?   
After all is said, I have to say that, for the most part, I did enjoy this musical as much or more than anything else I have seen at Proctor’s lately.   
By the way, Proctor's Theater is always packed to the brim and there is always a line for the Ladies Room but then again what else is new.

2 comments:

  1. More thoughts are surfacing that I hope to share soon.
    I have entitled the Blog, "On Second Thought..."
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i have to agree with your thoughts about this musical

    ReplyDelete